OT - Automotive maintenance

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

OT - Automotive maintenance

Post by Tommy »

Hey Guys, curious about the maintenance schedule on some of the newer vehicles. I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with the 6.2 L engine and 80,000 miles that has only seen light service (no towing or heavy loads). Although the truck runs great and the transmission performs flawlessly, I like to stay ahead of the maintenance schedule and was thinking about a transmission flush and fluid/filter change. When I checked the book, it said change at 150,000 miles, which sounded very high to me. It seems to me that the lubricating qualities of the fluid would degrade well before 150K miles; but several comments online referenced that the closed system protected from contamination. Other comments ranged from “should change no later than 30,000 miles” to “follow mfg schedule, as the engineers that designed and built the product know better”. I can’t even check my tranny fluid as the system is closed with no dipstick; it must be checked by the dealer! Unless I hear incontrovertible evidence to overrule the call on the field (owners manual), I will follow the book. But I love learning from you guys so I throw it out for discussion. given that it “ain’t broke” should I leave it be til I hit 150,000 miles?
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: OT - Automotive maintenance

Post by Bruce »

Transmissions are touchy. While there are no combustibles to contaminate the oil, towing can create higher temps even with a cooler and can degrade the oil.
There is no stick from above, but there is a plug on the tranny right above the pan passenger side.
Jack stands or a lift or if a 4 wheel drive semi lifted you can access.

The interval on heavy towing that a good many tech recommend is 20k miles, non heavy towing is 40k.

The only way to do it properly is a proper machine flush as many torque convertors don't have drain plugs anymore. Read Ford dealer, not aamco.
The caviat is dirt is a killer. I've seen people with no trans issue have their fluid changed and start experiencing failures.

I do a bunch of GM 6L80 performance upgrades and haven't had a failure yet with my grubby fingers in it if everything is kept clean.

As I've told you, Fords history with auto trans has been sketchy which is why I won't buy another Ford truck again. Although I do a bunch of upgrades to their 6R80 6 speed auto behind the 5 liter Coyote and Aluminator engines when we start pushing over 700hp out of them.
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

hey tommy. I worked for Ford for over 16 years. Probably still would be if it were not for my 7th and 8th knee surgery. I served on Fords TRP panel as well, which is what they called the top 25 techs in the nation.

Fords newer line of transmission are very stout. Your truck should have a 6R80 which uses LV fluid. It is 100% synthetic and pretty amazing fluid. I have 2 F250's, my 06 at 152k and my 17 is at 50k. I serviced the 06 at 110k. 10k past its service interval and the fluid was 100% clean and as red as the day it went in. It was also worked pretty hard, towing trailers of four wheeler, and My B28.

Fords usually has 2 service intervals, here they are straight from the Ford workshop manual.

Material Item Specification Fill Capacity
Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-10-QLVC (US); CXT-10-LV12 (Canada) MERCON® LV 12.30L
(13.0 qt)

General Specifications

Item Specification
Fluid
NOTICE: Transmission fluids are not interchangeable. The use of any other fluid or cleaning agents will cause internal transmission damage.
Normal maintenance:
Transmission fluid change not necessary, filled for life.
Severe duty maintenance:
Change the transmission fluid at 240,000 km (150,000 mi) intervals.

Fluid Filter
Internal to the transmission —

In all reality, the bottom line is this.... the industry is driven by 3 things: longevity, reliability, and cost of ownership. The latter is becoming one of the most important, especially with today's generation. So servicing fluids and things like fuel filters on gas engines go away..........
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Good luck with zero oil change under normal conditions. But then again the dealer makes a bigger profit off a new gear box than an oil change.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Tommy,

I have a 2012 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, 110k miles, lots of towing and highway work. The transmission has worked flawlessly. I did a traditional drop pan trans fluid and filter change at 50k, 8 quarts. At 100k I took it to my local shop for a BG trans flush and fill, 16 qts. No ill affects from either service.

Ryan's comments are very interesting and are definitely in play in the maintenance schedule included with the truck. The missing piece is the expected life of the machine. How long can you expect the pieces to last with these extended maintenance intervals? Who knows...

I made a mental compromise and developed my own maintenance schedule:

Oil changes - 4k, Mobil 1
50k - trans fluid
100k - all other case fluids, coolant, brake fluid

It's worked for me so far. I'll update at 200k miles.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Ryan, Bruce and Cam for your comments. Also, my apology, Bruce, as I had forgotten that you set up a separate discussion board for non-boating topics; which makes perfect sense to keep the primary Discussion Board on-topic with boating discussions. You are like me, Cam: stay ahead of the maintenance curve instead of falling behind.

Ryan, you are correct that my '13 Ford Raptor has the 6R80 transmission that calls for no service on the transmission (if lightly used like mine) til 150K miles. I have never enjoyed driving any vehicle as much as I'm enjoying this Ford Raptor. I've been a Toyota guy for the past 12-14 years owning back-to-back Land Cruisers from 2006-2018 (as my primary vehicle) as well as a Tacoma and a Tundra during the same period. This Raptor has very comfortable seats and ride, is plenty quiet and smooth, and has plenty of punch if needed (and of course averages only 14 MPG). Ryan, if you would have time for me to pick your brain, please text me at (9-one-9) 88 zero - zero 832 and let me know a good time to buzz you back.

Thanks again for everone's comments.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tommy,
The 6R80 is being used behind 1200hp, modified of course and is a great trans from Ford. They got that one right.
I have one in my 66 Fastback Mustang behind a 528hp to rear wheels Coyote. I change tranny fluid with engine oil at 2500 mile intervals. Oil to me is cheap.

There are after market companies that can provide a number of different tunes for towing, economy, power etc.
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

Bruce wrote:Good luck with zero oil change under normal conditions. But then again the dealer makes a bigger profit off a new gear box than an oil change.

100% that it is very weird to not change the oil till then. Some dealers would build their own maintenance scheduled maintenance programs to "help" the customers. Then they were sued and several dealerships stopped. I have not seen any ill effects of this maintenance schedule. I certainly wouldn't fallow it on a mustang that is beat on, but on F150's that tow we see them well past 150k all the time and still going. Again on the flip side, by buddy Eddie's truck's transmission died at 133k. At 133k I still haven't decided if that is a bad thing or not, of course we all want more , but his truck was a stop and go machine. All day every day running around in the city.

Tommy it was great talking to you and if at any time I can be of assistance just let me know.

Bruce I love your car by the way. I just picked up a coyote about 2 weeks ago and currently looking for a 6r80. I havn't decided what I want to do with it yet. thnking in my 60 Tbird but so seems like a waste, but I really want it there. LOL
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Likewise, Ryan, your time on the phone was very helpful. It's good to have a pro out there that I can go to with my Ford truck questions. Good luck getting your B-28 back on the water!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My F250 2006 6.0 needs to have a HEATED flush to get all of the fluid changed at once since you cannot drain the torque converter. Otherwise you have to change the fluid a little bit at a time. I think it is about 3 quarts per change. You may have a different transmission though.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Daniel-J

Post by Daniel-J »

I hope you're doing well. I've been luckier, my brother's a mechanic and he insists that I'm the only one who'll be served. So he's never had a problem with my car.